Sunday, August 24, 2008

Salsa, Beans & Pickles

I suppose when canning season is over, I'll use the same hours to do my Math 110 course--and I'll be able to finish it in less than a month! That is to say, I am spending many hours a day picking, washing and processing the produce from our garden.

I've made about 30 or 35 batches of fresh salsa, and there for a while I was bringing in a huge Tupperware bowl (That's-A-Bowl!) of tomatoes each day, and had a previous one completing the ripening process. We had a couple of days of rain and cooler weather, so it has slowed for the moment.

Each day we pick a couple of jars worth of green beans, and I wait until I have a complete batch to put them through the pressure canner.

And finally, a friend gave me lots of pickling cucumbers that were allowed to grow to a HUGE size. So for this year, I'm trying them already cut. We'll see how that works.

Good healthy food--but exhausting!







4 comments:

Joe and Joanne said...

I love it Gwen! Those all look delicious! How long do the pickles have to soak before they're ready to eat?
:) Good luck on your math! I'm sure you'll tackle that class and make an "A"!
Love you!

marci said...

I think we should find a way to get your salsa into my stomach. I eat salsa faster than the Creamery sets their freshmade stuff out. It's slightly disappointing.

Valerie said...

I'm with Marci. Send some salsa my way! Looks like great fun!

grandkrumps said...

Pickles have to "sit" for 2 months to be completely done. So in October I'll open the first jar. I still have a fridge full of salsa, and it is really good. Wish there was a way to ship it to you.