Monday, September 15, 2008

Tranquility & Tragedy

This past weekend I had a blast with hundreds of new friends, dozens from my ward, and four spectacular friends who shared my ride and my hotel room. We listened to Michael McLean, Kim Nelson, Hilary Weeks, Cherie Call, Michael Wilcox, Jason Wright, Jane Clayson Johnson, and Pam Hansen. Time Out For Women is just that: a time for women to breathe in and out (quickly--since the time flies by!) at an R&R from reality. I promise some shots from the Missouri Botanical Garden, where Irene, Vicki, Betty and I spent some hours, checking out the native plants for our landscaping projects.

I came home with renewed energy, a darling tote bag, Hilary Weeks' new CD, several resolves (like to write a few "personal" letters--thanks, Jason), a few momentos and some wonderful memories.
However, there was a tragedy involved. On the ride home we had some water damage from a cooler with an open spout (hidden, so we couldn't figure out the source very quickly). My bag got wet--I hung clothes all over the place and finally resorted to throwing a big batch into the dryer. The greatest damage was sustained to my small "travel" scriptures. The quilted cover was pretty well soaked, and I spent 5 or 6 hours Sunday with my hair dryer, turning each page and blowing the moisture into oblivion. This "fluffy" set of scriptures was the result!

This morning I have found cardboard and my quilting C-clamps to try to "condense" the pages a bit so I can snap the leather cover shut. Does anyone have a better idea? I'm sad to lose these scriptures: they have a lot of Women's Study Group notes, CES Conference highlights, and thoughts inserted in margins and between the lines.






5 comments:

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh no!!! Have you tried piling heavy books on top of it for a few days? Books like a Dictionaries, Encycopedias, or any large heavy book. The pressure would be evenly distributed rather than pressure-points like you'll get from the quilting clamps. I've done that before (to a lesser damaged book though) and it came out flat again. I'd give it a try. My stomach is sick for you over that though, I hope they can be unfluffled soon!

Otherwise, what a great trip! Looks like a fabulous time!

Love you!

Lynda said...

Oh, Gwen, what sadness over the scriptures! I have no idea what would work to help. I am glad you had a good time at the Conference, and I hope you are more rested after all of the Nauvoo plays and pageantry. How is Young Women's? Miss you so very, very much!!

the New Mom said...

Hello there! This is Amy, Mike Whitmore's fiancé. Thank you for your nice comments on our blog!

I would love to take a trip out to Nauvoo one of these days and meet you. President and Sister Peterson (the temple president and matron)were in my ward prior to going on their mission. If you see them.....please tell them hello from me!

What a fun blog! The scriptures in the vice........CLASSIC! If they don't go back to normal, let me know and I'll pick some new ones up at the distribution center and have them waiting for you when you arrive for Thanksgiving! Thanks again for your kind words! -------Amy

grandkrumps said...

Amy, we see them all the time! We are ordinance workers on Saturday mornings, and the Petersons are the GREATEST! Please do come and see us before they finish up in 2 years~! I got the scriptures to flatten, but the leather cover shrank and the snap will not close now. I'm sad, but they are still usable and I cannot quite give them up yet. See you at Thanksgiving time????? G

Sarah said...

GWEN!!!! I didn't know you had a blog! I saw you comment on Mike's blog and followed your profile here. I miss you so much!

Man that is sad about your scriptures. That stinks. I would try Joanne's idea, but other than that, I'm useless.

Did you know we had a girl? She's a month old now and we named her Carmen Elizabeth. The boys are in love with her and it's hard for her to get a quality nap because they won't leave her alone. It's very cute though.

Note to self: Do not go away for Thanksgiving. Must see Gwen.

My blog is musicisarainbow.blogspot.com if you want to see what our daughter looks like. :-D