Monday, April 19, 2010

Marci's Double Wedding Ring Quilt!

I have not quilted for SOOOO long!  And now I have a perfect excuse!  Marci is getting married, and so THE QUILT MUST GO ON!!!
I start with the stands, all bound together in this nice little bundle!

Next, I assemble the legs, putting them together like this--3 of the 4 are done here!

Frame and stands in place, just awaiting the real work of stretching all that fabric and batting
out into its proper place

Here are all three layers--nearly done with this segment of the project!  I pin and "baste" the layers together with a fastener sort of like the one that puts tags onto clothing in the stores.  Halfway through, though, that little machine malfunctioned and I had to return to the "old-fashioned" way. 

Closeup view of the pattern:  Double Wedding Ring in Cranberry/Hunter, now on my small frame. 
All that remains is hundreds of hours of enjoyment--millions of tiny stitches that puff up the spaces in between.  I know there are those who wonder how this "tedious" work can be soothing, but it is one of the most relaxing hobbies imaginable!  Try it--You'll like it!

10 comments:

Diagnose Rachel said...

Marci is engaged!!! How wonderful! Can't wait to check out her blog and see what guy was lucky enough to catch her heart.
The quilt looks beautiful. Good luck finishing it.

Sarah said...

This is so exciting!!!!

Traci said...

I am glad you got it all on! What fun - I agree with the two types of quilts -- one is great for hand-quilting, the other for piecing. I have done a little of the piecing, but I am much more comfortable with your way! Have fun!

grandkrumps said...

Marci is engaged, but it is finals week, and she is too busy to even show us her ring! She'll get to it eventually. July 30, in Seattle! He is a wonderful young man, from all reports!

Traci said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynda said...

Oh, Wow! Lucky Marci! I'm so happy for her.

I can't get over you and quilting; seems that at the busiest times of your life, you're elbow deep in stitches and loving it. You are the best!

It is beautiful.

Joe and Joanne said...

Yeah! Those are the perfect colors for Marci! I'll have to trust you on that "most relaxing hobby" piece. I haven't found sewinig of any sort to be *relaxing* for me. :) I'm so glad some people love it though!!! It inspires the rest of us. :)

Valerie said...

How exciting for you! Did your quilt shop in Nauvoo have that fabric?? Amazing find! Have fun thinking about Marci for all of those thousands of hours...that's my favorite part of quilting--the love that goes into it.

grandkrumps said...

Valerie has HIT IT ON THE HEAD! Not only do I get to "relax" at the quilting frame, I get to think happy thoughts of Marci and Chris at the same time. Nothing better!

Jackie said...

I love this! Just wonderful!