Friday, March 13, 2009

I See the Light!

I have been very tired of late. Lots of reasons--but they don't matter much. I have figured out (again) how to beat the doldrums: PICK UP A GOOD BOOK AND READ IT! I mean a book where you get lost in the story and live in another world for a while. And it has made all the difference for me this week.


The book, you ask? Aisling of Eire by Dorothy Keddington. Traci went on a Dorothy Keddington rampage a few years ago, and I happened upon this book in a used book store a little bit ago. It has all the elements of a terrific airplane or beach read: a great romance, a bit of mystery (someone is trying to kill her--and though you know who it is, it's still a bit anxiety-inducing) and A TRIP TO THE FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY IN SALT LAKE CITY.

Aisling of Eire reminds me a little of the books by G. G. Vandagriff, whom I very much appreciate, with her Family History sleuths digging through family trees. One very appealing thing with Aisling is the Irish connection--and I spent a fair amount of time trying to find my Irish family, only I didn't get to travel there (YET).

Yes, I am feeling alive and well this morning. 'Tis great what a good book will do for you!



3 comments:

Julie Harward said...

I should do more of that..reading, instead of making cookies(see my blog) I bet it would be better for my figure too! I'll have to read this!

Joe and Joanne said...

Ah yes, a good book will work wonders! I'll have to try giving that one a read some time. Sorry things are so busy for you -- trust me, I completely sympathize. I finally made the decision to quit the Cambridge Chamber Singers all together last week. It was a very difficult decision because singing is so near and dear to my heart, but sometimes we have to say "no" to the good things so that we can make time for the great things. Besides, through this experience I learned I'm happier in an orchestra setting to an a cappella setting.

May you find the balance! I hope that light at the end of the tunnel grows brighter every day. I also hope the heat on the thermometer grows higher every day as well! Love to you!

Shelly said...

Gwennie, wanted to say hello. I haven't checked in for awhile. Sounds like you guys are staying very busy and involved. I enjoyed your vacation pics. Tell Jeff and Brad I said hello.
Love,Shelly