Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What Have I Been Up To?

You'd think I could come up with some great topic to blog about--but my thinker's sore. I seem to run constantly but am I making any progress? Here are a few things I have been filling up my hours with lately:

1. I watched 8 hours of General Conference on Saturday and Sunday....does that count for anything? Probably not, since many others did exactly that

2. I got out the crystal, china, linens and silver to feed four Priests and Laurels a nice dinner this evening. I purposely made the menu to consist of things a little difficult to eat (Chicken Parmesan over angel hair, and cream puffs) and set the table with multiple forks and spoons. We had a great time taking some dating/etiquette quizzes during the main course. The YM president wore a towel over his arm and was the waiter while I put food onto the plates. It turned out fabulously!

3. I have made it to the Temple AS A PATRON 14 times already this year, as well as spending each Saturday from 5:45 am until 2:30 pm there as a worker. Add to that the time spent making the schedule and you will know that my heart is full to the brim with Temple Feelings. Our youth have a baptism trip next Wednesday, and I love seeing them in the Temple as well.

4. I drove a vanful of young women to a basketball tournament in Macomb, an hour east of Nauvoo. They took second place in the tourney, which meant we stayed until the bitter end--then I faced a near mutiny as the girls disagreed over where they wanted to eat dinner. Some pleaded for a Chinese Buffet. Others wanted Pizza Hut, but I hated the thought of waiting 45 minutes to get our dinner. Finally I ordered the girls into the two vans and told the other driver to follow me: wherever I turned in, that was my decision. I headed into town and saw a Taco Bell. I squealed into the parking lot and the girls trooped in behind Tina and Me--only to see two of the referees from the basketball games there at a table, still dressed in their black & white shirts. The girls all found something they could live with for dinner and I was proud of them: I did not hear a single complaint from the entire bunch

5. I realized I was out of balance and needed to read. So besides Aisling of Eire, I have read a half dozen other books in the past couple of weeks. I really had fun with The Bishop's Bride, and loved the volume 4 Fablehaven--though I read it so fast I am sure I couldn't tell you many details (my sister had it checked out from the library and I felt guilty short-stopping it before it was turned back in). I would like to re-read all four of them just before volume five comes out. Good Job, Brandon Mull!

Nothing earthshattering, right? Just life running a full tilt, and loving it.

6 comments:

marci said...

I'm proud, Mom! Way to blog!!!

Diagnose Rachel said...

I know what you haven't been up to...calling me. I'm not up as early as you, but I am as late!
I need more than your prayers girl!

Diagnose Rachel said...

Hmmm...my phone's not rigging yet....but I'm shocked at all the YW comments. I suspect a change from RS presidency to....YW pres??? Just guessing :) What a change for you! I wonder why God is weaveing teenagers into your cloth when it was already so beautiful and loved with RS. Hmmmmmm. I'm amazed at your temple work. But you got up more often that early for seminary, so stamina must suit you. I'm glad you still read for fun. I've got a few books next to my bed, but none as fun as my life. I'm trying to get a HAPPPY, positive thought driving photo book together for the surgery...9 short days and nights. And my back went out so my plans at organizing are gone. Anyway, when you're up, and ready to call, I'll be blinking my eyes. Call me after 8:17am my time If you can ;)

Julie Harward said...

Hi Going Gwen..
I'd like to know when you ever stop long enough to read a book?!
It's fun to read what you've been up to..add my blog to your list why don't you, so we can keep up and exchange what we've been up to. My blog site is on my wall page of facebook. Hope you're having a good Easter weekend!

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh I've loved reading about your days happenings!!! You're one busy woman and those Young Women sure are fortunate to have you as their leader. There's undoubtedly a gift from God planted in you to be a fabulous leader to teenage girls; I can testify to that myself. ;)

Glad you found some time to read! Stay balanced!

Much Love to you!

Crystal said...

oh wow Gwen! I need to talk to you!!! Email me! eternalflame_100@hotmail.com. I have prechool questions for you. I have loved using the papers you gave me and it keeps my kids busy. email me i have q's for you!!!

Crystal Pugmire-425-895-3949