No photos this time. My life must be boring, right? NOT on your life!
I am making slow progress on my next to last course toward finishing my degree. That has meant a couple of trips to the County Recorder's/County Clerk's office in Carthage, as well as visits to the Historical Society across the street from the famous Carthage Jail. There the volunteers were SO HELPFUL in searching indexes and showing me the microfilms and maps they have. These visits netted me a census I had been searching for, a township plat map, and the document numbers for a marriage license/certificate. Biggest thrill though, was finding the purchase and sale documents for one piece of property that my 3rd great grandfather owned a few miles from Nauvoo and Carthage. When I looked at that marriage license, that same great grandfather had performed the ceremony for his cousin! Had to have ($10 OUCH!)
My other big trip was to the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD for short!) on the 6th floor of the library at Western Illinois University in Macomb, an hour east of home. There I found very helpful interns who showed me their collections. I came home with a stack of photocopies and information that allowed me a quick phone call and then letter to another county clerk in Morgan County. Just a few days (and $15) later, I had the marriage license/certificate of my 3rd great grandfather in my hot grubby hands! Oh, the thrill of transcribing a document that belongs in my own family. And the realization yet again that this "hobby" is not without its COSTS!
Add to this mix, a lot of Relief Society work (gearing up for holiday gift making takes a LOT OF TIME, especially when all the "craft" stores are an hour away). And my regularly weekly sessions serving in the Family History Center and the Temple on Saturday mornings. And now you see why it takes me nearly two months to give another glimpse into my life. Where will I be in two more months? Only the shadow knows!
3 comments:
Glad for the update! It's so good to hear from you!
Sounds like a lot of wonderful things are happening in the family history department (and yes $10 is ouch!).
Keep up the good work - you're almost there! :)
Sounds like you have accomplished a lot of good things..good for you! How exciting about the 3rd great grandfather too. :D
I miss you! It's always great to see some news of what you are doing. I just wish we could spend a whole day together!
Post a Comment