Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Irish Family History

In the 3-1/2 weeks since we arrived back home, I have nearly completed my course in Irish Family History Research. I have read two textbooks, finished 18 "Speedback" Assignments, and now have an average grade of 94.5%. And what have I learned?

First, I now know that the chances of finding our McCleve, McHarry, McFerren or Lamb family members on a CENSUS are virtually NIL! Since the Irish have constantly endured civil war, a great many census records were destroyed in a fire in government buildings in Dublin in 1922. But THEN, the British (who are normally so "Genealogy Minded,") came in, extracted the statistics they desired from the Irish censuses, and then DESTROYED THE ORIGINALS. Someone should take them out and shoot them--I'd volunteer, but I'd probably miss!

However, I have learned in a family history book published in the 1960s, that John and Nancy Jane McCleve lived at 29 Great George Street, Belfast, before they emigrated to the US in 1856 on the Samuel Curling. Their voyage had been financed by the Perpetual Emigrating Fund, and they crossed the plains with the 2nd Handcart Company. John died two days before the family arrived in Salt Lake City, leaving Nancy Jane to raise the children alone.

My Great Great Grandmother was Eliza Roxy McCleve, and she walked across the plains at the age of 7. Can't you just hear her singing: Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked and walked.......? In fact, the man who wrote the words to that Primary song was John D. T. McAllister and he was the elder who baptized John and Nancy Jane.

Have I bored you all completely? Will you ever be anxious to see a new post on our blog again?

Please stay tuned. I still haven't figured out how to download the pictures from the camera into the computer, so I will have to wait a little longer to show you our trip to Kona/Redmond/Spokane!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Welcome back to the blog world! I, for one, am glad to learn what you have learned -- we are Ma and Pa (and one child, I guess) for our Handcart Trek youth conference this summer. I just looked the McCleaves in Handcarts to Zion and there they all are! Wow!

I am impressed with your grades -- keep on showing up your kids, would you?! Way to go!

Joe and Joanne said...

Not boring at all!!! The first counselor in my bishopric here in Boston is from Ireland (His wife is from Ireland as well. They both moved here about 7 years ago so he could attend school). I will have to ask them how they're doing their family history.
Good luck with the picture download! Can't wait to see them!

BTW: I put in my request for PTO (April 4 - April 9). That should be approved today, and I found a great plane ticket (gets me into STL at 1:35 in the afternoon Friday). I will get that tonight and send you the itinerary.