Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Roses



Happy Mother's Day to me (from Jeff). Aren't these roses simply gorgeous? I didn't have a slip in my mailbox, but saw the box from ProFlowers--Jeff's signature. So I asked about that box and got to bring them home! They smell divine as well as brightening the room (you know those painted cinderblock walls!). Thank you, Jeff!

Here I am at BYU, struggling to figure out the Math 110 and enjoying the American Heritage course a lot.

I am loving the wonderful interaction with my roommate, Sharron, who comes from Texas near San Antonio. We have many common interests and experiences: teaching seminary, serving as Stake YW president and Ward RS president, etc. But then there are the amazing things like walking past a popcorn machine and learning we both LOVE popcorn, etc.

We both have community service to do, and have been 3 times to assist with activities at Rock Canyon Rehabilitation Center, near the hospital in Provo. Yesterday we helped a group of residents play a 2-hour game of Uno. I sat next to a young woman who wanted help with the lyrics to "Strangers in the Night." I would remind her of the second line: "wondering in the night what were the chances we'd be sharing love before the night was through." And she'd sing them in a croaky voice.

Then she'd come up with her own version. For example: "wondering in the night, after the dances, we'd be making love until the night was through." Now there are just a few small changes in the words, but great difference in meanings. She also had a sense of harmony, since after completing that refrain, she'd sing two harmonious notes that truly did belong in the chords in the interludes.

Other activities for the day: a HUGE crowd for Bingo. We helped residents put their (poker) chips on Straight Bingo, X Bingo (no other numbers counted) and 4 in Any Corner Bingo before going for the biggie: Blackout Bingo. When a resident won, he/she got to choose from prizes on a tray: cheetos, puddings, small candy bars, etc. One resident who needed only soft foods kept complaining that she had not yet gotten her favorite: M&Ms, Junior Mints, and Cherry Chocolates. This has been a really fun assignment.

4 comments:

Joe and Joanne said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! Your community service sounds like a truly fun opportunity. My prayers to you for Math 110. I know you can figure it out! Remember, there is light at the end of the tunnel - you're nearly through with all this and you'll have your B.A. in family history - that will be such a glorious day!
Love, prayers, and thoughts to you!

Valerie said...

What great experiences! I just can picture you there at the Rehab Center. What FUN!! There is nothing better than serving others who have real physical needs. It makes you grateful for the strength you have.

Good luck with everything!
Love,
Valerie

marci said...

Pretty flowers (good work, Dad... if you ver read this)

Also, I'm glad you were able to find something that you enjoy for your American Heritage service project. It makes the assignment so much better when you can have fun with it!!!!

Janyse said...

American Heritage service project?? Yet another reason why I'm so glad I took the class online.

I agree with Marci...nice work, Dad!!