I have intended to blog and download photos and all kinds of things, for weeks now. But all I can generate is a tiny mustard seed of energy. My life seems to be a continual round of turning slightly and putting out a raging fire. Then when that flame is under control, I whirl 90 degrees and need to douse another one. And the weeks speed by and I'm not ready for Christmas, and I lack the ability to sleep or to concentrate on the tasks at hand. I just tripped UP the stairs and cut my hand and stubbed a toe so that it is now swollen and bruised. And I purposely did all my Away From Home errands yesterday so that I could stay SAFELY inside today while the snow blows around us here on the banks of the Mississippi.
I think I am on Overload. Too many irons in too many fires. Too many problems to face: Christmas, Young Women in Excellence, a weekly temple schedule that requires dozens of hours of advance preparation, and a BIG New Year's Celebration to plan with both counselors out of town and a newly called YM president who is still trying to figure out which direction is up. My Christmas Cards are not yet ready to mail and I have a pile of wrapping to do. What I need is a good dose of the Temple, but the weather is UGLY outside and the last session for the day is already started.
What's a mother to do to find some PEACE? Anyone got any ideas for me?
6 comments:
Chocolate. Lots of it.
You have always been the perfect mom and grandmom for holidays. You can take a year off...get things out after christmas and make the season last longer. I'm sure they'd forgive you faster than you forgive yourself
I would suggest... a nap. That's what I do to avoid finals, studying for finals, my residents, my residents' problems, and the snow. Naps are definitely the way to go. Or a movie.
DEAREST Gwen: This is the first time I've ever heard you admit to overwhelm. A sure sign that it is time for a rest. Don't worry about the cards and the to-do list. Everyone who loves you would want you to take care of you. Get a good book, settle down next to the Christmas tree, have a cup of hot chocolate and take (at least) a day off. Love you so much! Lynda
The "Overwhelm" is over. What a difference a day makes. The cards are in the mail, the gifts are wrapped, the house is clean and the music is playing. I think Sarah's suggestion was just like magic. Chocolate helps anything!
Oh! Being so absorbed in your ice-storm photos yesterday I totally missed seeing this one.
I am so sorry to hear your running crazy with "busy" but I do understand. Remember that time I emailed to ask for prayers about a month and a half ago? What I learned/witnessed was: (a) prayers work. I will pray for your load to be lightened. (b) saying 'no' is okay. I think we are very much the same person you and I when it comes to not wanting to tell anyone 'no' if there's ever a possibility of saying 'yes' and deem always that there is an extra minute here there or somewhere else so we might as well say 'yes' and then end up running ourselves sick (which I have been for over a week now). Learn how to say 'no.' Much easier said than done. But that is what I've learned lately. It is okay to say 'no.' God never inteded for us to run faster than we have strenghth, but wants us to learn for ourselves where that line is. He will tell you where it is if you ask, and will give you the strength to say 'no' when it's appropriate.
I hope this helps at least a little. Take care, and enjoy the holiday! A White Christmas - how fun!
Love you!
Post a Comment