Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Right after Church yesterday we loaded up to drive the 3 hours to St. Louis to bring Marci "home" for Christmas--with of course, an equally long drive back home. We saw the most breath-taking scenery with the Winter Wonderland Mother Nature has created for us. Of course I didn't have the camera with me, but this morning as we did errands we backtracked a few miles to shoot the photos of the frozen fields and trees.
The icicles on the side of the house have lengthened a bit since Saturday afternoon.

I wish I could have captured the light coming through this tree completely. It was VERY dangerous to even step foot out of my car--but I did so, tromping heavily through the layer of ice on top of the snow.

I was completely enchanged by the frozen fence line. Joanne, you'd have loved this photo shoot!

Talk about "Frosted Windowpanes" -- well these look like glass, don't they?

A ridge of poles, connected by a continuous tube of ice.

Here's the place to purchase what everyone in the neighborhood needs most today: Rock Salt and Sand in a tube. Not too expensive, I thought: 70 # of sand for about $4. But we used the entire bag, safety-fying the walk to my mom's house 2 doors away. And very expensive considering you can get a whole truckload for a couple hundred dollars.

Close-up of the bottom rail of that same sign: Everything in sight is decorated for Christmas!
More snow is expected tonight; we have Marci safely here; there's tons of food in the house; and we can now hunker down to ride it out until warmer weather removes all traces of Mother Nature's beauty!

2 comments:

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh you've done a great job on the photos!!! You are right, I would have loved to be there doing a photo-shoot. We have a Winter Wonderland of our own going on here in MA however, being in the city puts a damper on getting many good pictures (give it about an hour and the snow plows are coming through to make everything look gross...but safe, so I can't complain too loudly). Keep up the posts and pics I'm loving this!

I'm glad the trip to get Marci was safe, and that sand and salt definitely comes in handy.
Have a fabulous Christmas!

Much Love,
Joanne

Irene Tukuafu said...

the sand tubes are to be kept IN THE TRUCK so you don't slide all over the place. We found out the hard way. took our truck to church and Tomasi almost ran into Bro. Steven's van. oooooooooooops, Brother Stevens said to me, "someone has to teach him to get sand bags for the back of his truck". Well, I called Dave Hardle and he taught me....sooooooo we got sand bags for to ride in the back of the truck and they all have pictures of trucks on the bags. "got it". ha.