Saturday, November 14, 2009

Odds & Ends

Just a few random things floating around in my head today:

1. The grades for all my assignments and exam #3 FINALLY made it to the "Posted" status, so we (Janyse and I) were able today to request the final exam. Who knows if the mail service will deliver in time to actually TAKE the exam before Thanksgiving, as desired.

2. We had a Stake YW Leadership meeting this morning. Such fun. We attended YWU, Young Women University, and covered the basics in the handbook with some fun games: word searches, crossword puzzle, and matching "games" in teams with our wards. When the closing prayer had been offered, we were asked to stay for just a minute longer, and one of the Stake YW counselors came out in full graduation garb--it helps that she is Dean of Students at Truman University in Kirksville, MO--and handed out Diplomas and a mug with hot chocolate, cup-of-soup, crackers and chocolates. The mug had a scripture printed on it: Let Everyone Learn Their Duty. They must have been planning this for ages. Well worth our 2-1/2 hours.

3. The Twelve Month bunnies are slowly coming along. The ears are sewn, pressed and in calendar order in individual baggies, inside a large baggie with the girl's name on the outside. All the pieces are cut, only a few missed the drill press step, and the bodies are essentially painted. We decided that the girls should come to my home next week, rather than my dragging an entire trunk full of supplies into a tiny, dark classroom at the church for next week's work. We also have a front porch handy at my home, where we can have light to do the spray coating to finish each painted piece. It is a long project, and that is part of the goal here: some things take a long time and have many parts to the process. It is WORTH IT to set a large goal and keep plugging on all the small steps along the way. In this world of "instant" everything, this is a needed character trait.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Gwen, you rule. :-D

marci said...

sounds like fun! I'm glad that your stats stuff posted! Hooray! I didn't even have to go to the office and threaten someone :) I got a lot of homework done yesterday & this morning and am getting ready to go have dinner with Megan and then head up to Lehi tomorrow to celebrate Grandma Jean's birthday! Oh, and I still didn't get the letter you sent me or my pictures from Costco. Do you have a tracking number for it?

Lynda said...

These young women are so blessed to have YOU as their leader! You manage to make everyone feel so loved even when you are so busy - it is such a gift, YOU are such a gift.

Joe and Joanne said...

Good luck on your final exam - I'm so excited for you! I'll be praying it arrives in time for you to finish BEFORE Thanksgiving.

That sounds like a fabulous YW activity - very nicely organized and well thought through. I will have to think of doing something similar for my Relief Society sisters.

I like the idea around taking small goal steps to acheive the larger goal. I needed to be reminded of that today - thank you!